Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Making a Dress-Part One

I'm going to see Depeche Mode with a friend this August.  We became friends because of my love of this band.  Since it being ten years since I saw then last and this being so close to my friends birthday; what a great way to enjoy a night in Seattle's Key Area.  So when you have to a date with the band that shaped your emotions all through out high school and my early twenties.  
You must look FANTASTIC! 
After trying to find multiple dress that where to tight, to expensive or just to tacky for me.  I was channeled by my mother and thought "I shall Sew a dress!"  In the Mill End Fabric store I was having flash backs to the when my mother would take me to the fabric stores, how happy she was when she would make a dress for twenty but looked like a $2oo.  I wanted to feel that same mag
ic.  
I did this journey the way I remembered it.  First find a pattern, that was easy it only took about five minutes. Plus it says SEW EASY it has to be easy. (Not quite)  Second look for a fabric that meets the standard of the pattern and your as well.  When you have a woman well in to her golden years tell you that a Eyelet would look nice.  I tried to not laugh at the women helping me; I think when she heard "I'm going to a concert August." Must have assumed I was going to be at the State Fair.  After walking away from her very country themed selections of Fabrics.  I was off to find the right fabric.  I finally knew what it feels like for a man to go show shopping for ladies shoes.  Everything looks the same or a l
ittle different. 
Then my husband found this fabric.
"Perfect!!!!" I screamed.
It was super 80's, Super unique at a price I could afford.  After leaving and getting home. I opened the pattern started to look at the instructions and saw that this was going to be a more of a challenge then it was going to be fun.  
Then I ran in to my friend Kate and that was more then happy to help in exchange for something knitted by me.  Sounds like a fair deal.   Next chapter laying out and cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment